Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Vagaries of the different models 7 years 3 weeks ago #15970

• tackelhappy
  • tackelhappy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Tyler wrote: To start with the basics here is the VIN number and production quantity data I was able to compile...

79 A1 Frame = KZT30A-000101 Engine = E00101, 6100 fames numbers, 5700 engines so we assume no more than 5700 motorcycles produced

80 A2 Frame = KZT30A-006201 Engine = E05801, no more than 5300 frames produced but 6600 engines

80 B2 Frame = KZT30B-000101 Engine= ??? if we assume the extra engines were all used for B2's then the can be no more than 1300 B2's

81 A3 US made Frame= JKAKZAA15BA-011501 Same stating number as Japanese sequence???

81 A3 Japanese made Frame = KZT30A-011501 Engine= E12401 total US and Jap. production, no more than 2400 produced

82 A4 Frame = KZT30A-014101 Engine = E14801 More frames than engines, but no more than 1600 produced (US production ???)

83 A5 Frame = KZT30A-015901 Engine = E16401 Serial changed in 84, total production unknown (we could assume similar 1982, 1600)

84-85 ZG Frame = ZGT30A-000001 no more than 2800 made

86-89 ZG Frame = ZGtT30A-002801 No Idea how many were made, probably very few.

So the total for all years is something in the neighborhood of 25,000, this number is quoted form several sources.

Here is my '81 shortly after I first got it.

Differences I know of are as follows.

The 1981 Kz1300 was a short production run because of changes to the ignition in 82. I have no hard evidence but I have seen several sources claim that about 800 were made that year. Mine is Manufactured in Japan, but some may be US made.

Available in Red or Ebony, engine covers were chromed, so were the air box side covers.

Rear shocks were air ride, and the front forks were linked with a hose to equalize air pressure.

The ignition pickups and timing advancer were done away with in 81, three hall effect sensors read a pickup wheel under the left side engine cover. Ignition has an electronic advance. The pick ups were moved to right had side of the engine for 82 to end of production.

1980 saw the start of the deep sump oil pans, and increased oil volume from 4.5 to 5.6 liters and for 1981 it was increased again to 6.2. The oil sight glass is also larger for 1981 and onwards.

That's all I know.

The windscreen is after market, but the Vetter hard bags were probably a dealer add on.

here is how she looks now

Your bike looks great Tyler . With that style tank, it would indicate an American only model. ( I assume ) This next post is about gas/ petrol tanks. There appears to have been at least 4 different styles of tank.

If you can get a photo of just the tank for this post Tyler it would help to complete the picture. We would also need a photo top and bottom of the Euro/ rest of the world tank to show the differences for the fuel injected bikes. The black tank photo below is an early version of that Euro tank ( in this case off a B model ) for carb bikes. So the black tank is 27 litres, and the green tank is 21.4 litres.
The tank style is probably more relevant to those outside North America because of the huge numbers of these bikes ( kz1300 ) that have been imported to other countries from here.

I'll add the tank photo's as a correction this afternoon.

The bottom the A model has this cover over the fuel level sending unit. Never seen one of these before.

On the bottom of the B model tank ( 27 litres ) is this factory installed insulation. The idea being to stop engine heat rising into the tank and literally boiling the gasoline.

" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tackelhappy. Reason: addition of photo

Vagaries of the different models 7 years 3 weeks ago #16041

• tackelhappy
  • tackelhappy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Two of three different gasoline tanks sold in North America. Need photo of 1981/1982 style .
The black tank is not an original colour- probably came of a B model which was a ruby red. The green tank is original.

" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
Attachments:

Last edit: by tackelhappy. Reason: addition

Vagaries of the different models 7 years 2 weeks ago #16099

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I had that cover and hose on my fuel sender as well. I think it's in case of a leak, it would direct the fuel away form the engine.

I don't think it was really necessary to do.
1981 KZ1300

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds