Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Vagaries of the different models 7 years 3 weeks ago #15928

• tackelhappy
  • tackelhappy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I thought I would start a thread about changes and differences of the different models over the life cycle of these bikes. I hope others will add photo's and text as time goes on as my knowledge is limited to the bikes I have, and the observations I have made over the years. What prompted this was a purchase I made in January of this year of a 1979 kz 1300 from northern Alberta - a very early production model from 02/79 and the differences between it and the other bikes I have.

The thread could include why changes were made. ( if anyone knows ? ).

A reference for new owners to clarify why their bike looks the way it does- if different.

On the South African site and on the original English site the is/was a written explanation of the model years that someone maybe able to add here to broaden the scope and knowledge of this forum.

The photo's could include all factory models, dealer installed accessories such as fairings, carrier racks etc. and other aftermarket retailers from exhaust systems to the French supplier Godier Genoud.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vagaries of the different models 7 years 3 weeks ago #15929

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Well done, this should develop into an interesting thread.
Is that photo the 79 model you refer to? Is it undergoing restoration?

Vagaries of the different models 7 years 3 weeks ago #15932

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
I know when I started to look for a Z13 a few years ago, whilst pretty savvy about certain bikes I knew very little about the Z13 model and year distinctions. I found the Kawasaki Model History link on the UK Zed-Power site very useful.

Ive attached the link: pretty sure Dave & Phil who own and run Zed Power wont mind as they love the Z13 :)

See link for model evolution, etc www.z-power.co.uk/merchantmanager/view_information.php?pId=14

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Vagaries of the different models 7 years 3 weeks ago #15934

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
To start with the basics here is the VIN number and production quantity data I was able to compile...

79 A1 Frame = KZT30A-000101 Engine = E00101, 6100 fames numbers, 5700 engines so we assume no more than 5700 motorcycles produced

80 A2 Frame = KZT30A-006201 Engine = E05801, no more than 5300 frames produced but 6600 engines

80 B2 Frame = KZT30B-000101 Engine= ??? if we assume the extra engines were all used for B2's then the can be no more than 1300 B2's

81 A3 US made Frame= JKAKZAA15BA-011501 Same stating number as Japanese sequence???

81 A3 Japanese made Frame = KZT30A-011501 Engine= E12401 total US and Jap. production, no more than 2400 produced

82 A4 Frame = KZT30A-014101 Engine = E14801 More frames than engines, but no more than 1600 produced (US production ???)

83 A5 Frame = KZT30A-015901 Engine = E16401 Serial changed in 84, total production unknown (we could assume similar 1982, 1600)

84-85 ZG Frame = ZGT30A-000001 no more than 2800 made

86-89 ZG Frame = ZGtT30A-002801 No Idea how many were made, probably very few.

So the total for all years is something in the neighborhood of 25,000, this number is quoted form several sources.

Here is my '81 shortly after I first got it.

Differences I know of are as follows.

The 1981 Kz1300 was a short production run because of changes to the ignition in 82. I have no hard evidence but I have seen several sources claim that about 800 were made that year. Mine is Manufactured in Japan, but some may be US made.

Available in Red or Ebony, engine covers were chromed, so were the air box side covers.

Rear shocks were air ride, and the front forks were linked with a hose to equalize air pressure.

The ignition pickups and timing advancer were done away with in 81, three hall effect sensors read a pickup wheel under the left side engine cover. Ignition has an electronic advance. The pick ups were moved to right had side of the engine for 82 to end of production.

1980 saw the start of the deep sump oil pans, and increased oil volume from 4.5 to 5.6 liters and for 1981 it was increased again to 6.2. The oil sight glass is also larger for 1981 and onwards.

That's all I know.

The windscreen is after market, but the Vetter hard bags were probably a dealer add on.

here is how she looks now

1981 KZ1300
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tyler.

Vagaries of the different models 7 years 3 weeks ago #15936

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes, I'm going to restore this bike, but I didn't really need it. This is what happens when two guys head out of town to a known location that has a lot of bikes in various condition, with a truck and bike trailer and without any hard resolve about only buying what we went there for. We were after a 350 ducati single- but when we had driven all day to get there, the ducati was no longer available. It is nearly 20 below and we were in this garage with really only a flash light. There are 4 old chryslers - they are covered in sheets and with lots of stuff pilled on them. No interest there. In between two of the cars are some bikes, but they are difficult to see, there is so much junk and clutter. There is two 750 , 3 cylinder suzuki two stokes- lots of engines sitting on the floor - one bike has the engine missing -but they are the early models and worth restoring, but not by me. In between the next row of cars are 3 suzuki 500 titans- the 2 stroke twins- around 1970's. Some with engines, some not . There appears to be more engines than frames. Confusing the dull surrondings are outboard motors and lots of parts for who knows what . But next to these suzuki twins is a 350 Bridgestone- wonderful - and it appears to be all complete. How much do you want for that I ask. Not for sale is the reply. I'm going to restore it myself he says . I mutter to myself something like -you'll never get to it- we are all old guys here -there's 150 other projects here that haven't been started- there's two live times of work here if we had started right then. Right by the door of this shed - the only door we could get open were two bikes covered in tarps- one is this kawasaki in the photo that some how, got itself on the trailer, and a similar aged goldwing. Alot of the easy to remove parts had already been taken off the bike so the next half hour was spent with a failing light looking of the tank, side covers, seat etc. Never found the horns , carb to airbox piece or fuel tap. So I photographed the spares I already had and sent them to the owner to see if he can find them. Starting a project with the bike as complete as possible is a head start. But the engine wasn't started / wouldn't start so it's value is diminished considerably. The seat and tank are in very good condition- so they are worth the asking price for this bike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Vagaries of the different models 7 years 3 weeks ago #15938

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So how would you see us being able to use the link Tim. ?
The text would very useful- maybe we can update the photo's. Do you think they would mind if somehow Bill could cut and paste it and use it as we see fit -like added better photo's , or just leaving as a link the way you have it here ?

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds