TOPIC:

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 2 months ago #15656

• Dion
  • Dion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Thanks Rick
i did get some after market performance coils a few years ago(Hidden in a sea container) not sure what brand (Yellow)
from an electrical point of view im not that great,more of a mechanical inclination, so ill probably have to drop her into Auto electrician and leave it to them.
had been chasing a story on fuel petcocks, the vacuum line they are referring to! does the Z need a petcock with Vacuum line? 1980
where does the line come from if yes, mine came without the petcock, have been out looking to find any lines laying around but none are present.
Dion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 2 months ago #15674

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
If the coils are yellow they are probably accel.

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 2 months ago #15679

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Dion wrote: Thanks Rick
i did get some after market performance coils a few years ago(Hidden in a sea container) not sure what brand (Yellow)
from an electrical point of view im not that great,more of a mechanical inclination, so ill probably have to drop her into Auto electrician and leave it to them.
had been chasing a story on fuel petcocks, the vacuum line they are referring to! does the Z need a petcock with Vacuum line? 1980
where does the line come from if yes, mine came without the petcock, have been out looking to find any lines laying around but none are present.
Dion

The vacuum petcock is self controling. When the engine is running the vacuum from the intake system opens the fuel shutoff in the petcock and allows the fuel to flow. When you kill the engine the intake vacuum is no longer there and the petcock shut off the fuel. I would say it's imperative that the fuel gets shutoff everytime the engine is not running. Either the carb float design doesn't shutoff the fuel to the carb well when the bike is put on the sidestand or posssibly the breakdown of ethanol in the fuel starts building up the whitish colored scale that some of us have seen in the carbs and jamming up the needle valve in the carb or........ Bottom line if you leave the petcock open when the bike is not running, the carbs will flood and pour raw gas into the cylinders. Then when you go to start the bike, that raw fuel will hydro lock the cylinders and you'll bend piston connecting rods.

Thr vacuum petcocks just manage the task of shuting off the fuel for you and as long as the fuel is kept fresh and not sitting for more than 6 weeks in the tank/ fuel lines everything should be fine. To guarantee the freshness of the fuel especially in equipment that sits for long periods or fuel that you store for say your lawnmower is to use an ethanol rated fuel stabilizer to keep the ethanol in suspension with the gasoline. There are a lot of fuel stabilizers out there for "gasoline" for long term storage that don't work with the ethanol blended gasoline so if you chose to use fuel stabilizer make sure that you select one specifcally for ethanol blended gasoline otherwise buying the regular fuel stabilizer is just a waste of money. Sta-bil make one called "360 marine" which I use in everything that I run. It's not cheap.

Here's a link for those interested. www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine

The manual petcocks are fine but I hesitate here. The rubber components in the manual petcocks are also subject to the ethanol and the ethanol causes the rubber sealing disc to swell making the petcock tight to shutoff. another issue I found especially with the Pingle petcocks was the swelling in that rubber disc caused part of the seal disc to swell into the fuel port and then when i shut the valve, the swollen part got cut in the fuel port and now I have a fuel leak, fuel pissing out of the valve, all over the bike, and the piece that got cut off the disc is now down the fuel line. I called Pingle and over a 2 year period Pingle replaced 3 petcocks free of charge but everytime withing about 3 months it happened again.

My preference is the vacuum shut off valve and using the Sta-bil fuel stabilizer religiously.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Kz mission 7 years 2 months ago #15682

• rob
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Dion
I am in Tauranga, let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Cheers

New member (Kz mission) 7 years 2 months ago #15688

• Dion
  • Dion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Thanks Rick
yes coils are accel,the Ebay add stated they where the best? bought them 4 years ago still in box im hoping they go on without needing to pee around with capacitors or other stuff.
regards the petcocck
i rang NZ Kawasaki and was told the 1980 Z1300 did not have Vacuum, it was just Gravity feed
i certainly cant see any spare Vacuum lines, where did they get the vacuum to run your tap Please?.
Mine is a USA model
Frame says KZT30B
Engine Says KZT30A
would that be a 1979 engine in a latter Frame?
not original engine for that bike?
any thoughts
Thanks everyone for the help
Dion

Kz mission 7 years 2 months ago #15691

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
page 19 adjustments - engine (service manual you can download off this site, shows the vacuum ports on the intake manifold that you can use for the fuel cock supply (sorry I can't import image from the PDF file of the manual.

Hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dion

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds