Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A2 Z1300 resto in Oz 8 years 3 weeks ago #11743

• Tuckabag
  • Tuckabag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Mark wrote: Lol read my last post I edited it and added another sentence your running an A3 I am pretty sure

Fan-farken-tastic.
So if the ignitor does crap itself can other model units be retro-fitted?

Thanks for all your info so far!
1980 Z1300, 2006 SV650, 1956 BMW R25/3 resto project, 1999 Husky WR250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A2 Z1300 resto in Oz 8 years 3 weeks ago #11744

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
No they can't, but at least we have established what model you are running, the last set of pictures you posted were of the Ballast resister, they are not an issue and only required with the coils that you have fitted at this moment in time, a coil upgrade means you can bypass that and junk it, numerous people can advise you on that on here. As said though look after the IC ignitor, a patterned one is available in I think Finland if you ever become desperate
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

A2 Z1300 resto in Oz 8 years 3 weeks ago #11747

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Looking at the engine, IC Igniter, Colour Scheme, Shock Absorbers, Chrome Casings and a few other cosmetic details, I would be 99% sure its an A3.

This makes it the rarest Z/KZ1300 from late 82/83. It was the first 1300 built outside of Japan (in the USA) and as mentioned earlier by others means it has a unique Ignition System and YES the igniters are very rare and expensive. The model was only made for 1 year before the A4 replaced it. I have only ever seen this model in BLACK from new.
To protect the IC Igniter, make sure your coils and whole ignition system are all in perfect working order and all the contacts on the block connectors are clean and making good earths and contacts. A bad earth can ruin any IC Igniter very easily.

Other than the ignition system the rest of the motor is pretty much the same as A1 and A2 and you SHOULD find you already have the deep sump / oil pan fitted as standard.

The A3 I had was a great bike and ran as well as any other I have owned.

Good luck with the restore and keep us all updated with pics !

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

A2 Z1300 resto in Oz 8 years 3 weeks ago #11767

• BLOOMFIELD
If you are chasing parts in Oz I buy mine from WEMOTO in Sydney.. great prices. Coils , seals , bearings etc .. fast service. I am doing a resto on a mates 81 Z .. motor has been soda blasted and repainted with high temp paint and frame has been resprayed gloss black .. coming along nicely.
Picked up another z1300 from Sydney for 1500 bucks as a spare parts bike .. it has some hard to get spares on it..

A2 Z1300 resto in Oz 8 years 3 weeks ago #11769

• Tuckabag

BLOOMFIELD wrote: If you are chasing parts in Oz I buy mine from WEMOTO in Sydney.. great prices. Coils , seals , bearings etc .. fast service. I am doing a resto on a mates 81 Z .. motor has been soda blasted and repainted with high temp paint and frame has been resprayed gloss black .. coming along nicely.
Picked up another z1300 from Sydney for 1500 bucks as a spare parts bike .. it has some hard to get spares on it..

Thanks. I had come across Wemoto in my research. Will keep them in mind.
Cheers!

A2 Z1300 resto in Oz 8 years 4 days ago #12000

• Tuckabag
Started on carbs last night.
In good nick internally just plenty of the red sticky shit gumming everything up and crap in the bowls.

2 down, 1 to go.

Ultrasonic ended up a nice colour.....

Any thoughts on how to extract this without destroying it? Is jammed in super tight.

Also will need to clean out the fuel solenoid as its full of sticky red goo too.
If it's still functional should I keep it or remove/replace?
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tuckabag.
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds