Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello From NE Ohio 9 years 2 months ago #5956

• rayserra
  • rayserra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
New member here, new owner of an '84 ZN1300.
For years I've been looking for one and finally found it in Dayton, OH on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I won!!!!
For what I paid and the story behind it ($2200, traded in at a new bike dealer and sold at auction to a small shop who cleaned it up and resold to me) I wasn't expecting much. What I found was a bike that looks as if it has been pretty well maintained, pleasant surprise, but probably not ridden much lately.
Anyway, I enjoy working on my bikes but in the last few years I've been having difficulty finding the time for maintenance, let alone sorting out a 30 year old bike that's been sitting in someone's garage for who know how many years.
Does anyone know a competent mechanic experienced with '80s touring bikes in NE Ohio?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello From NE Ohio 9 years 2 months ago #5958

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Another Newbie, Welcome!! Just finished posting to another newbie like 2 minutes ago.

In answer to your question - they're all right here. Don't be afraid to dive in to your mechanical issues yourself. This machine's not that complicated. Yup it's big but underneath it's probably as simple as it gets for "technology". If you need a service manual you can find it at the bottom right hand corner of the "Home" tab I believe.

Also, PLEASE visit the FAQ tab and read through the searchable FAQ's. There are some inherent issues with these bikes that you really need to understand and ensure yourself that they've been corrected. Cam chain tensioner issue is a must. If your new machine has not been corrected, you could slip the timing chain by one tooth and bend the valves. The FAQ page has the answer for this issue and if your machine has been fixed you're lucky.
Also, If it's been sitting for a long time, chances are that the carbs will need cleaning. Member "Scotch" has a posted blog under the "Blog" button with an excellent write up on rebuilding the carbs.

Again, welcome aboard and enjoy!!

Kawboy (John)

Last edit: by Kawboy. Reason: Remove a sentence

Hello From NE Ohio 9 years 2 months ago #5959

• rayserra
  • rayserra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the quick response Kawboy.
Although I'm new to Kawasaki six cylinder I am not new to motorcycle repair and maintenance. I agree with you...the set up on these seems pretty straight forward considering how advanced they were for their time.
I asked the same question about a local mechanic on the AVA site, and got about the same answer, and no answer from some. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, these forums are created by people who work on their own bikes for discussion with other people who work on their own bikes.
Anyway, thanks for the advice. I am downloading the service manuals now. If I can't find someone close with a good knowledge of these old bikes I will be getting into it myself, and sure I'll return often for info and more advice.

Hello From NE Ohio 9 years 2 months ago #5961

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Welcome to KZ1300.COM Ray!

I'm glad you found the manuals. We've seen plenty but WE STILL WANT PICS!

Welcome again
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Hello From NE Ohio 9 years 2 months ago #5964

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Welcome from Switzerland and good luck..

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Hello From NE Ohio 9 years 2 months ago #5968

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Hi Ray welcome to the forum. You are right about need creating the forum. I worked for many years in the bike game but on Hondas and despite of having owned my Z13 since new it has been so reliable that I really don't know that much about them and have found this forum to be a wonderful resource.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds