Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello 9 years 7 months ago #4650

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Hi guys

just to add to this discussion: I am using standard oil (for cars; 15/40) since around 15-20 years and never had an issue wiht it.
As said, oil ios a very touchy and personla subject, however I guess all of you agree that using synthetic oils on a bike which is ol dlike ours is not wise as this will probably lead to issues with the clutch.
Going for old-school mineral oil will do it, according to my experience.

GreeZ from Switzerland

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello 9 years 7 months ago #4653

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274

BigSix wrote: ... however I guess all of you agree that using synthetic oils on a bike which is ol dlike ours is not wise as this will probably lead to issues with the clutch.Holger

Hi Holger,

Lord knows I do not want to contribute to another oil thread however:

I started using Motorcycle AmsOil 10W40 & 20W50 in my Kaws in 1979. Today I have AmsOil in my:
1976 KZ900
1985 ZN1300
1981 KZ1300
1979 KZ750 twin
1982 KZ1100 Spectre
1987 Yamaha Trailway
2000 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Yamaha Roadliner
And probably a couple of others I can't remember right now.
Here it is 35 years later and I've never had a slipping clutch or a synthetic oil induced leaking seal or gasket.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably wasting money in the process because I do agree the real secret is clean oil and to that end I change oil annually in all my bikes irrespective of the claims by AmsOil about it's ability to resist that various types of degradation that regular oils undergo.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Last edit: by KZQ.

Hello 9 years 7 months ago #4654

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Let me diplomatically state that whether you use Dino oil or Synthetic, both ways have proven their use over the years.

Some of this thought process can center around older engines vs newer tighter tolerance engines of today. On my newer BMW K bike, it seems to thrive on Synthetic oil. The clutch operates better with less noise. I keep that change cycle to 2000 miles. It hurts at the wallet but I know I have a clean crankcase and transmission.

On my older bikes, with tolerances as wide as a Mac Truck, I think of the cost factor and just implement frequent changes to keep it clean. These too I change at 2000 miles, or every 6 months if they sit for too long.

There is something else to consider and that is our very old style oil filters. Recall we are only as strong as the weakest link. We can have the most expensive and most modern oil, but our filters are not the latest in catching those small micron level particles that can seep past those paper pleats.

One final point. The Dinosaur oil we used in the 1970's is not the same Dino oil today. Like improvements in our tires, our oil too has vastly improved from years past.

It's good to have this discussion from time to time as we gain new members.

Stoner, I hope we are not overwhelming you with all of this back and forth.

Regards.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh.

Hello 9 years 7 months ago #4656

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Well i have to admit i am only relying on what i have been told by my local Motorcycle parts shop and me being gull a bull enough to believe him and not bother to find out for myself.
Thanks Holger for that link, brilliant reading, i will certainly be looking at different oil
when the time comes.
Ian
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Hello 9 years 7 months ago #4669

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Hi Stoner.
Just to add that I've also been caught out by the oil devil before.
I have a few bikes, my new ones thrive on full synthetic stuff, but not the old girls.

Few months ago I serviced my Z900 and CBX, and thought for a change I would try them with a good quality semi synthetric oil: I was greeted with instant clutch slip :whistle: :angry:

Only way to eliminate it was to drain and refill with a quality mineral 10/40 (I used Castrol ACTevo same as I put in my Z13), and normal service was resumed.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Hello 9 years 7 months ago #4700

• Stoner
  • Stoner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks Guys
we are leaving for our fall ride
on the 3rd of Oct
want to make sure shes all ready
"I would rather ride two up with Lynn all day
than ride with the sinners or cry with the saints"

http://whitewolf-lif...s.blogspot.com/

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds