Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cam chain tensioner 7 years 1 month ago #15774

• LareNurminen
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 162
I do not think that the adjustment hot causes any problems, the original one tensions (clicks) all the time, i.e. the chain is tight when you stop the hot engine. Then starting from cold would cause problems with the original unit.
Locking the adjuster prevents it from adjusting all the time, relieving the pressure on the plastic gear and rubber roller.
Works for me and pretty much for every 1300 rider in Finland.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig, Kawboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam chain tensioner 7 years 1 month ago #15776

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
I know it's against popular opinion, but I replaced my manual cam chain tensioner with an original one. I keep a close eye on it but so far I haven't had any problems. My bike came with a replacement manual tensioner but it was so stiff to turn I could never be sure if it was adjusted properly.
Z1300 UK

Last edit: by McZed.

Cam chain tensioner 7 years 1 month ago #15777

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

McZed wrote: I know it's against popular opinion, but I replaced my manual cam chain tensioner with an original one. I keep a close eye on it but so far I haven't had any problems. My bike came with a replacement manual tensioner but it was so stiff to turn I could never be sure if it was adjusted properly.

Ya got to "go with what you know" If you're comfortable with self adjusters then that's what you do. I tend to like the manual adjusters because I trust my touch better than having something do it for me. Chances are I'll never sit in a self driving car but then again I use an automatic toaster to cook my bread. Funny how we manage tasks !!

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Cam chain tensioner 7 years 1 month ago #15780

• LareNurminen
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 162
The original adjusts fine when new but as it gets older there is a problem with it. This is due to the mechanical construction of the tensioner. The locking mechanism internally is based on three bearing balls pushing against the shaft of the tensioner, allowing it to move only in one direction. As the unit gets older, the shaft grooves, the balls get worn. What can happen, usually when starting, is a whiplash of the cam chain forcing the tensioner back (balls slip)chain loosens and jump teeth allowing valves to hit piston. Costly repair follows.
If you want to prevent that, drill a 5 mm hole at the end of th body, thread it 6 mm and use a long bolt with locknut to prevent the slipping. Every 3000 km or so, loosen the locknut and turn the screw so that it gently touches the tensioner shaft.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig, McZed, Kawboy

Cam chain tensioner 7 years 1 month ago #15781

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Thank's for that Lare. I'll do that before I wake my bike from it's winter hibernation.
:cheer:
Z1300 UK

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds