• Page:

TOPIC:

Camshafts - Differences between Carb and Injected? 7 years 6 months ago #14629

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I ordered a second hand pair of cams from Ebay as mine have had the hardened surface damaged. Sadly they have gone missing in transit so I have to source another set. My knowledge about them cams is there are 3 models - carb, injected, and another for the Voyager?

Does anyone know if they are interchangeable or does each model have different specs?
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Camshafts - Differences between Carb and Injected? 7 years 6 months ago #14637

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
The carb engines have more agressive cams. Intake is 270 deg. duration and exhaust is 280 deg. duration.
The DFI engines have 260 duration cams both intake and exhaust.

Not sure if they are interchangable (physically). The suppliment for the ZN says to refer to the KZ1300 service manual for info, so I'll assume that if the suppliment doesn't identify a different lift then the valve lift for both are the same. Maybe one of the other members can verify??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Camshafts - Differences between Carb and Injected? 7 years 6 months ago #14653

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I was always under the impression that the ZG1300 (DFI) cams had more duration, which is what gave the (alledged) extra 10 bhp (taking it to 130 bhp)?
The ZN1300 (Voyager) made about 117 bhp from memory as they retuned it again for more midrange as it was a tourer, don't know if their cams are unique, or they retuned them in some other way?
Only dead fish go with the flow

Camshafts - Differences between Carb and Injected? 7 years 6 months ago #14654

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
All three bikes I checked-1980 USA edition, 1986 Voyager and 1986 Zg 1300 united kingdom edition all have different part numbers.
So it maybe just the profile on all three that is different ?
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Camshafts - Differences between Carb and Injected? 7 years 6 months ago #14658

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144

tackelhappy wrote: All three bikes I checked-1980 USA edition, 1986 Voyager and 1986 Zg 1300 united kingdom edition all have different part numbers.
So it maybe just the profile on all three that is different ?

Yes that's maybe how they varied the power outputs, purely by different cam profiles.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Camshafts - Differences between Carb and Injected? 7 years 6 months ago #14661

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
This is some info from a Z1300 'guru' in Sweden who has been kind enough to help me out. I include it here for others to ponder.

And for you´r last question then, I have no numbers in my head for the moment but the differense between the cams are lift/height and "durance", (not sure what the english word is), eg: the length/time the valve is open.

I have never heard of anyone in the world who has tried to interchange cams between the models, (as i said earlier about my project to try to put carbcams into my injected Voyager) so i can´t say nothing about what will happen...

THOUGH....( again there are just 3 types: carbs, injected and Voygager cams), there are more/higher lift on the injected cams regarding carb ones. Voyagers ones are ludacris and almost useless,(thats why i wan´t to change on my bike).

So, as i said, i never heard of anyone changed them, so i can´t say what will happen if you put injected cams into a carb bike. There are a risk for total failiure if the valves would reach the piston. Remember that both pistons and head are NOT the same on the carb and injected models. So to be sure, just be sure you got carbcams Paul!

(In my case, i´m going at the other direction...i´m going from Voyagers even higher lift to the carbs lowest camlift...so i will be safe).
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dogfight

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds