• Page:

TOPIC:

Coil project. 9 years 11 months ago #3213

• wrgoo56
  • wrgoo56's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Well here is pictures of this coil project of replacing the factory coils with ACCel coils and wires. Got to tell you this took some fitting and refitting testing and retesting for the right height and size of spacers so I could get the plug boots to fit and keep it all in the same place as the old coils.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRodSixxer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by wrgoo56.

Coil project. 9 years 11 months ago #3216

• wrgoo56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Well all of you that have done these coil changes are right . One of the best changes I have made to the bike. The bike has never started this good or easy from the time it was new. Hardly no choke hit the starter button and she there right now no cranking. Also those Gunson color tune plugs are great. I got two of them made the tune up go a lot faster doing two at once. Bike sounds sweet.

Coil project. 9 years 11 months ago #3217

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Coils are one of the biggest bangs for the buck on this bike. Glad this worked out for you.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Coil project. 9 years 11 months ago #3242

• HotRodSixxer
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks, these will come in handy for me when I get to my coils. I got my coils probably 12 years ago when they were THE recommended coils at the time. I stalled out on my project 10 years ago and FINALLY am getting back to it! One thing one of you electrical types out there may be able to tell me- my tester shows almost half an ohm when you put the probes together and is not adjustable. My coils read about 3.6 ohms so does that mean 3.1 when you consider the .5 ohm error in the unit? I wish I had gotten the Nology coils later as they are a lot smaller but in keeping with my Hot Rod theme of my project Accel does go with that!

Coil project. 9 years 11 months ago #3243

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Looks as if you have 3ohm coils.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Coil project. 9 years 11 months ago #3244

• wrgoo56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I realize the paper work with these coils say to run a gap of .35. I already had the gap set to .35 pushing the limit of the stock coils. I am running a gap of .40 on these ACCEL coils and with the Gunson plug to set mixture I can tell you the fire in that cyl is hot there was no problem seeing the spark in that cyl at all.. A little info on doing this. I had to buy longer bolts to mount the coils and longer spacers. That was to move the coils far enough a part to get the plug wires boots to fit on the coil towers with out pinching to tight to the sides of the coils. I also made use to put the even and odd number plug wires on the same tower of each coil. That way I knew the + side of the coils was running the even plugs and the - side of each coil was running the odd plug wires. Also did the same with the wiring to the posts from the ign box. The coils are not marked which post is plus or neg.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds