Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Not a Zed, nor even a Kawa, but a great story 8 years 4 months ago #10186

• anyoldiron
  • anyoldiron's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
l picked this up from a farm in Saskatchewan Canada from the original owners son. The father brought it brand new and used it in his 2 senior years of high school, it then got sidelined when he met his future wife. Now Saskatchewan farmers are notorious for not parting with anything, the only times things go are usually because of a estate sale, or when the Father retires as in this case.

Not one speck of paint was added to this bike, i took it too pieces, cleaned polished, serviced everything. l replaced the crank seals, head and base gaskets when i took the top end off for inspection and de-coke. l replaced the points and condensers as one side was shot, new battery and clear fuel lines as i like to see the stuff ''moving''. lt still has the original tyres, not weather checked at all, the carbs and petcock dont leak, perfect bike preservation climate in Sk it seems.

l did find the pinion gear nut had come loose (due to spring washer installed wrong way round i belive) and was only held on by the case! That would not have ended well

1971 Yamaha CS3 200cc, one of my favourite things!
'They never see you coming, do they Bob''

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Not a Zed, nor even a Kawa, but a great story 8 years 4 months ago #10193

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
Very nice. One special little gem. I've seen a few of these but not restored. Looks like you've done a very nice job of bringing it back. Kudos to you. Thanks for sharing!!
KB

Not a Zed, nor even a Kawa, but a great story 8 years 4 months ago #10194

• 2shortofasixpak
  • Thank you received: 1
Great story, better bike. Gotta love those 70's colors. To bring any bike or car back to life after a long period of dormancy brings a great deal of satisfaction and accomplishment to me, and obviously to you also. Much respect to you for your patience and skill and attention to detail.

Not a Zed, nor even a Kawa, but a great story 8 years 4 months ago #10198

• lucasind
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
....Very nice work ! really love those ol' "barn finds" I recently took my barn find for it's first ride in 30 years ! I still need to find a few more pieces for it ....but it is running great and fun to ride..... the first picture is mid-way of the project (about a year ago)
the second picture is from last week when returning from it's first ride since it was wrecked and left by a barn in a small farming community way back in the summer of 85'...it sat there in the same spot for 27 years...(waiting for ME )

Again ...great job ! it's alot of fun bringing old bikes back from the dead and saving one more ol'bike from being scrapped ...or parted out !
..........................Tony :)

Not a Zed, nor even a Kawa, but a great story 8 years 4 months ago #10201

• anyoldiron
  • anyoldiron's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the kind words Gents, i get a lot of pleasure out of these ''labours of love''

Cheers
'They never see you coming, do they Bob''

Not a Zed, nor even a Kawa, but a great story 8 years 4 months ago #10208

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Very nice job, that is one lovely little Yam.
Being a serial restorer myself, I am with you on the "labour of love" part.
Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds